The main goal of the reTHINK project is to design and prototype a new, non telecom centric, but Web-centric P2P Service Architecture enabling dynamic trusted relationships among distributed applications called Hyperlinked Entities (“Hyperties”) that support use-cases beyond commoditized telephony such as contextual and social communications, M2M/IoT and content oriented services. This project will enable any type of service delivery through specialized end-to-end network quality commitments, powered by specialized P2P and/or Cloud services (delivered as SaaS, PaaS or IaaS).
The objectives of the reTHINK project are target and result driven. reTHINK will develop a web-centric communication framework and associated functionalities for Hyperties. To achieve its mission, reTHINK will meet the following objectives:
- Objective 1: To provide a communication framework that facilitates and supports peer to peer communications. The reTHINK framework will support application provisioning and enablement in line with the perspective of various users/stakeholders. It will consist of four layers: a Hyperty Layer, a Messaging Layer, a Transport Layer and a Trust Management Layer transversal to the first three layers. Fabrics in each layer offer scalable mechanisms for the registration, look-up and discovery of Hyperties as well as communication between them.
- Objective 2: To design and develop security and portability features necessary to ensure a secure and trustworthy service, compatible with European/national regulations; to propose solutions to measure the confidence level of identities provided by a third party service and realize convergent and multi party services, relying on a trusted identity provider.
- Objective 3: To examine the business impact of the concepts developed by “reTHINK” on today’s communication and services ecosystems as well as content delivery and how they might be transformed in the future. The project will analyze who are the players now and who will participate in the future. It will also asses the impact a concept such as reTHINK will have in the economic sphere and in society in general, especially in the the European community.
- Objective 4: To validate its effectiveness by applying reTHINK to a set of use cases that represent the most important application areas, such as real-time audio/video communication, content delivery via Content Delivery Networks (CDNs), and M2M communication enabled by the Internet of Things. The selected application areas (use cases) include classic Telecom services, entertainment, Over-The-Top (OTT) communication services and smart homes.
- Objective 5: To realize standardisation and exploitation activities, including the dissemination of results to increase European competence in the WWW and web-driven real-time communication service domain.